How to Catch More Fish
By James Fletcher
Want to catch more fish? Below are 13 sensational tips that will help you get more fish when fishing in saltwater. These tips will work in the ocean, rivers or estuaries so have a read and get ready to enjoy more success when you go out for a day's fishing.
1) Use as small a sinker as possible. You want to feel the fish biting so you can strike on the line. If fishing with bait in water less than 5M deep you may not even need a sinker as the weight of the bait will cause the line to sink.
2) Target a particular species. Certain fish feed at different levels. Determine what species of fish you are after and set your rigs and choose your bait accordingly.
3) Fish around sunrise or sunset. Most fish prefer to feed during these times so you are more likely to have greater success.
4) Look for unusual or different terrain to fish around. Fish tend to concentrate around steep underwater drop offs (areas where the depth of the sea floor rapidly changes). Fish also tend to stay in areas with structures in them (rock formations, piers, jetty's, tree branches etc.)
5) Burley up. Burleying is a great way to get the attention of fish. Keep a constant supply or burley coming and you will keep a constant supply of fish coming over as well.
6) Fish with multiple lines to increase your chances. Try throwing 2 lines in per person and it will double your odds of catching that big fish you are chasing.
7) Learn when to strike the line. You need to strike the line (pull back fast on the line) to set the hook in a fish's mouth. Knowing when to do this is half the challenge of catching a fish. The best way is to experiment. Try striking immediately and if that doesn't work try leaving the hook around the fish a little longer before striking. Remember, the best time to strike varies from day to day, species to species and from one fish to another.
8) If the fish don't bite move on. This is easier on a boat but it is also true of shore based fishing. If they are not biting, reel your line in and try a different spot.
9) Look for where other people are fishing and join them. If there is a group of people fishing in one spot there is usually a reason why, so go and join them.
10) If your on holiday or fishing a new spot, ask a local for some tips. Local knowledge is invaluable and most fishermen will give you a few hints and tips to get you on your way.
12) Setup good fishing rigs before you go fishing. It is easier to make some good rigs on land rather than on a rocking boat. Even if you fish from the shore it is nice to have a collection of rigs that you can change over easily. Also remember to learn some good knots. You will regret not learning a good knot when a big fish comes and breaks your line.
13) Use the correct size hooks for the fish you are targeting. Everyone likes to think there going to catch a huge barramundi but in reality the fish you will catch will be much smaller than your imagination. Use as small a hook as you can.
These tips are sure to help you catch more fish. So get out there and have a go with these tips in mind.
Recommended Articles :
VT Fishing Charters - Fishing Charters VT - Vermont Fishing Charters: VT Fishing Charters - Fishing Charters in Vermont and much more at the Saltwater Fishing Directory
California Fishing Guide - Experience heart pounding sport fishing action. Catch more Kings. California fishing guide with thirty years experience gives all out fishing effort.
Mountain Lion Hunting Idaho
For unsurpassed beauty and excitement come join us for a winter mountain lion. We have a large population of trophy lions and we have had great success hunting them using our well-trained hounds.